7 Quick Takes | Quotes from The Amish Way
I saw this book on the shelf at the library last Sunday and was intrigued enough to check it out:
The Amish Way: Patient Faith in a Perilous World* by Kraybill, Nolt, and Weaver-Zercher was a fascinating read; you can't help but have a lot of respect for how closely the Amish live the tenets of their faith after you get through its pages.
I grew up in Maryland so I have lots of memories of seeing the Pennsylvania Dutch (what the Amish in the Lancaster PA area are known as) at farmers markets around Annapolis. When Knute and I lived in Illinois, were just two towns south of a huge Amish community, Arcola, IL. Here in SW Ohio, there are more of the other sects of Anabaptists (Mennonites and German Baptists/Dunkards) but there's a huge Amish population in NW Ohio.
My point in all that geographic meandering is that the Amish aren't foreign or strange to me the way they must seem to others who've never lived near them or done business with them so reading this book wasn't necessarily an eye-opener into Amish life for me.
What stuck with me about this book, however, is how the Amish faith (which is just a sect of Christianity) is not that fundamentally different from what most of us Team Jesus folk believe. They just do a darn better job living it than most of us (and I include myself in that 'us').
Anyhow, I highly recommend this book - it really a well-written look at the Amish way. This is the second collaborative book by this team of authors; the first, Amish Grace: How Forgiveness Transcended Tragedy*, looked at the response of the Amish to the Nickel Mines, PA tragedy of 2006. That may be one I read as well, too.
There were a number of quotes from Amish people (who were anonymous or were addressed by pseudonymns in keeping with their belief in humility) in this book that resonated with me; I thought I'd share seven of them with you this week for my 7 Quick Takes.
1. "...in the Bible we find that God's people are to be peculiar." - Amish leader, Chapter 1.
2. "Humility Is the Most Beautiful Virtue." Title of Amish hymn, Chapter 3.
3. "I just don't like the two-track view of salvation that separates grace from ethics." Amish Bishop, Chapter 3.
4. "Living a good example has led more people to Christ than any amount of talking has ever done." Amish writer, Chapter 3.
5. "Our children are the only crop we can take along to Heaven." Amish father, Chapter 7.
6. "The kitchen table is the most important piece of furniture in an Amish house." Amish parent, Chapter 8.
7. "The acid of hate destroys the container that holds it." Amish man, Chapter 11.
Be sure to hop through the linkup over at Conversion Diary this week, too! ;-)
Have a great weekend!
*Amazon.com affiliate links.